As happens every year our beautiful Aussie summer is here and so are our outdoor enemies – flies and mozzies!
Mosquitoes can carry and spread life threatening diseases such as MALARIA, DENGUE FEVER and ROSS RIVER VIRUS. These diseases are especially threatening to babies and young children. We are fortunate not to see the deadly Zika virus from mosquitoes in Australia yet.
Why do mosquitoes bite?
Only female mosquitoes bite humans and animals as they require blood to produce eggs.
What attracts a mosquito to a human or animal?
Carbon Dioxide - Mosquitoes have extraordinary olfactory (smell) sensors - they can detect us from our breath which emits carbon dioxide.
Smells and Skin - Mosquitoes prefer warm bodies. They are also drawn to smells and bacteria on the skin such as sweat and smelly feet.
Blood Type - Mozzies land on people with Type O blood twice as much as those with Type A.
What chemicals are used in mosquito repellent?
The most common protection against mozzies is by using a repellent containing a chemical known as DEET (Diethyltoluamide). This is a proven effective chemical to stop mozzies coming near you.
What are the issues with DEET repellent?
- DEET belongs to the family of solvents like toluene - or the common enamel paint removers
- DEET is absorbed through the skin and passes into the blood.
- Canadian researchers found that up to 55% applied penetrates our skin and almost 20% may go into our bloodstream.
- The most serious concerns about DEET are its effects on the central nervous system, which can lead to motor deficits and learning & memory dysfunction. In other words, it upsets our brain.
- DEET repellent is designed for safe use when sprayed over our clothing - the scent of DEET repels mozzies.
- As a solvent it will remove most if not all your own natural skin oil leaving you with dry skin problem at the least.
- DEET should never be sprayed in the air over our body especially the face - it is potentially toxic to inhale DEET.
- Following the research finding the Canadian Government does not allow repellents to have more than 30% concentration of DEET.
- It is recommended that babies under 6 months do not use any DEET.
- It is recommended that 6 months - 2 years may use repellents with less than 10% DEET but only once a day
- 2 -12 years may use the same 10% concentration up to 3 times day.
In Canada products containing DEET are required to carry labels which specify:
- Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.
- Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.
- Do not allow young children to apply this product.
- After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.
- Do not use under clothing.
- Do not spray in enclosed areas.
How are Cherub Rubs products different and effective?
With these issues in mind Cherub Rubs has developed a safe and scientifically proven effective formulation derived from Lemon Eucalyptus extract suitable for both babies and the rest of the family.
Skin Guard & Skin Guard Plus are formulated with full Certified Organic status for assurance on natural purity and safety. It is also independently tested by Centre of Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) in Thailand to provide adequate protection. These products are perfect natural outdoor moisturizers enabling your skin some comfort with the wind & sun as well as the irritations of flies & mozzies.
The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has worked with Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) since 1980 when CDC established the first Field Epidemiology Training Program outside of North America to train the next generation of public health leaders in Thailand and the region.
Giving attention to the safety of babies with their delicate skin we formulated Skin Guard with the minimal amount of lemon eucalyptus extract to provide some protection whilst the baby may be outdoors for a short period of time. With less than 1% of the lemon eucalyptus extract the product is safe for use on newborns.
Skin Guard Plus is designed to cater for children and grown-ups who may be exposed outdoor for a longer period. With relatively higher concentration of Lemon Eucalyptus extract Skin Guard Plus can provide up to 2 hours of protection. We have kept the concentration to the minimum level as the repellence is primarily from the scent of the lemon eucalyptus vapour blocking the olfactory sensors of the mosquitoes.
Skin Guard & Skin Guard Plus natural organic formulation are not only safe & effective but certified Toxic Free which means you can apply many times during the day or night without worries.
As parents and grandparents, at Cherub Rubs we know that kids may still get bitten from time to time. Our after bite solution Skin Soothe is perfect for relieving the itch of any insect bites. Skin Soothe is another 100% natural, certified organic formulation that is highly effective and totally safe. With Skin Soothe it means NO MORE ITCH for baby and family.
Skin Soothe not only stops itchy mozzie bites! It can also be used to give relief to anyone in the family suffering from sunburn.